How Big Tech Companies Sweeten the Deal With Perks
The competition for the best employees in the technology industry is fierce. Salaries are already getting pretty much as high as they can go, so companies are looking at perks and benefits as the way to attract and retain top talent. It’s a strategy that makes sense since, as Glassdoor reports, 57% of the people they recently polled said perks and benefits are among the top reasons they take one job and not another.
This month, Glassdoor released a Top Employee Benefits & Perks list. Here are their top 20 companies, ranked by their overall benefits packages, along with one or two signature perks/benefits from each.
1. Netflix: One paid year of maternity/paternity leave for new parents. Parents can return part time or full time and take time off as needed throughout the year.
2. REI: Two days off for going outside per year called Yay Days.
3. Salesforce: Six days of paid volunteer time per year. (If they use all six, they receive a $1,000 grant to donate to a charity of their choice.)
4. Spotify: Six months of paid parental leave, plus one month of flexible options for returning. Costs for egg freezing and fertility assistance.
5. World Wildlife Fund: Take Panda Friday off every other week.
6. Airbnb: $2,000 annually to travel and stay at an Airbnb listing anywhere.
7. PwC: $1,200 per year for student-loan debt reimbursement.
8. Pinterest: Parental leave is four paid months off, plus one month of part time, and two counseling sessions to create a work re-entry plan.
9. Burton: Season ski passes and snow days to enjoy them after major snowfalls.
10. Twillio: A Kindle plus $30 a month to buy books.
11. Twitter: Three catered meals a day. On-site acupuncture and improv classes.
12. Accenture: Gender reassignment to support LGBTQ rights and diversity.
13. Walt Disney Company: Free admission for employees, friends, and family to Disney parks. Discounts on hotels and merchandise.
14. Facebook: $4,000 in Baby Cash to employees with a newborn.
15. Evernote: Evernote Academy’s team-building courses, including macaroon baking.
16. Epic Systems Corporation: Paid four-week sabbatical to pursue creative talents after 5 years.
17. Adobe: Paid time off for one week in December and one in the summer.
18. Asana: External executive and life-coaching services.
19. Zillow: Pays for breast-milk shipping for traveling employees.
20. Google: 50% of salary paid to employee’s surviving spouse or partner for 10 years.